Sunday, December 15, 2019

Almost Two Years


Mira’s 2nd Birthday is just two short days away.  It is so surreal to be here.  I have used the word surreal before in relation to this infant loss journey and I just don’t think there is a better word for it. 
I can still feel on my fingertips how amazingly soft Mira’s cheeks were.  I mean, I didn’t know skin could BE that soft.  I can still feel her weight in my arms, and it feels so real if I let myself really think about it.  I can feel that pain and tightness in my chest that I felt when the doctor said she was gone and I broke down, wailing and proclaiming that I needed more time with her, if allow myself to go there.  It feels like it all just happened.  


But also, it feels like another lifetime.  It feels like an alternate reality that I got to feel a life grow inside me and then hold my own child in my arms.  It feels like the happiness of finding out I was pregnant could have been an overly realistic dream.  It feels like so very long ago that I was wheeled out of a maternity ward clutching only a stuffed animal, feeling so numb I’m not sure I knew what was happening. 

So, it is surreal for it two be close to two years ago.

Some people still ask how I am doing (thank you so much for asking!!!!).  It is hard to explain, mostly because it is ever changing.  To sum it up, I would say I am doing okay. 

I have times where I am very happy.  I love my husband, I love our pets, I love our family.  I am doing so much better emotionally on a daily basis since starting a new job where I feel I am growing professionally again and I do not need to worry about how I am treated by coworkers or my grief being held against me.  I love sharing Mira’s story when I can.  I love that I am her mother.  I feel great happiness finding ways to help other loss parents, either through Mira’s Banners of Love, writing, or just being there for them.  Joe and I have planned a trip for the spring, an early celebration for our 5-year wedding anniversary, and the first trip we have taken (other than a couple weekends) since our honeymoon.  It is a huge step to plan ahead like this, as after such trauma and loss you quit making any plans.  I mean I had plans and look what happened?!  But anyway, the point it, there is happiness, love, and joy in my life.

The is also still great pain.  And there always will be.  Christmas time is a huge trigger, and it may always be.  For me, two year ago Christmas decorations going up were a signal that the time with Mira was almost up.  I knew she would be gone when the holiday actually arrived.  Last year, the first house with Christmas lights I saw sent me into a horrible flashback and felt like a knife in my heart.  This year it was hard again.  When people started talking about Christmas and debating when you could decorate or sing the songs, I bit back my desire to tell them to shut up.  But I also know that I can survive this time of year.  I can make it through.  I can remember the good times from Mira’s life along with the horrible pain of it ending.  It doesn’t make it hurt less, but it makes it matter more.  I was more prepared for the triggers this year and it did not knock me off my feet in the same way.  There is other pain too. Such as the constant ache of forever missing your child.  I love my family, but there is and always will be a Mira shaped hole in it.  I ache for her daily. 


So, all in all, I am doing okay.  There is enough pain to go around, but there is joy too.  I remain committed to feeling both, not just one or the other.  Planning the Spreading Kindness event for Mira’s 2nd Birthday has been a great way for Joe and I to cope with the anniversary/birthday date approaching.  I want to sincerely thank each and every person who has participated so far!  I feel a leap of joy with each post/comment, text, picture, etc. we receive about what you have done to spread her love all over.  It means the world to me!  It is often said, “a loss Mom’s greatest fear is that her child will be forgotten.”  This is so true for me, and I so appreciate you all showing me this has not happened to Mira and that her love can live on!  Right now, this is what keeps me going and helps me through. 

I imagine that Wednesday (her birthday and anniversary of her death) will be very hard as will Friday (the anniversary of the day we left the hospital without her).  I am not sure if I will be able to see the joy as well those days, but I hope I will.  If I can’t, I will not feel guilty though.  This is a hard journey, and I will do what I can, as I can and will not beat myself up for the times I struggle.  

Joe and I plan to spend her birthday doing a few things, mainly going to see Peter Pan at the Fulton Theater, something I would have loved to do with her, as it was my favorite movie as a child (the Broadway version, not Disney!).  I hope to find joy in letting her life live on through our celebration.  I hope you remember her with me and don’t forget to wish her a happy birthday and thank her for all the good she has done in the world, both in her life and after her death.

Mira,
Mommy loves you just as much as she did 2 years ago.  Maybe more if that is possible!  I am amazed to see how your amazing life continues to affect and inspire people.  You are my perfect inspiration and my motivation to continue to not just survive, but live.  I can’t wait to see you again.  I love you forever. 

 “I will carry you long beyond the empty cradle, through the coming years.” 

Love, Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment